Please take time to carefully to review the terms and conditions that surround the use of the 66 Express Outside the Beltway lanes (the “Express Lanes”).
These Business Rules compliment and are in addition to the E-ZPass® Customer Service Agreement for your respective E-ZPass® agency (refer to this link for The Virginia EZPass® Customer Service Agreement; and refer to this link for the Maryland E-ZPass® Account Terms and Conditions).
The Business Rules
- Permitted vehicles include motorcycles, passenger cars/trucks/vans/SUVs, extended sport-utility vehicles (SUVs), minivans, work vans, moving/relocation vans, heavy-duty pickup trucks, recreational vehicles (RVs), commercial vehicles (contractor vans, work vehicles, freight trucks, logistics carriers, over-the-road haulers, semi-trucks (18-wheelers), etc.) and buses (mass transit, tourist, and school buses). Customers are invited to refer to our Vehicle Classification chart which can be found online to determine which class their vehicle is in.
- The definition of motorcycle includes three wheelers (like trikes and Can Am Spyders) but does not include autocycles (like the Polaris Slingshot) (Virginia Code Section 46.2-100).
Using the Express Lanes
- Customers will be presented with pricing Toll Rate Signs prior to entering the Express Lanes. Highway signs with the current toll pricing are posted in advance of every Express Lanes entrance. Customers may be presented with additional pricing signs during a trip on the Express Lanes.
- Before each new tolling segment, Customers that have entered the Express Lanes will see a new pricing sign, which will display the next tolling segment’s price. Drivers can choose to continue in the Express Lanes and pay the toll fee for the next segment or, prior to the next tolling segment, exit the Express Lanes back to the general-purpose lanes at no extra cost.
- Customers will always have the choice to either remain on the general-purpose lanes (free of charge) or enter the Express Lanes at the current toll rate (additional charges may apply).
- Toll rates will be higher for larger vehicles. Vehicles from different vehicles classes are subject to a Toll Factor which varies based on the size of the vehicle and peak/non-peak hours as indicated below. Customers are invited to refer to our Vehicle Classification chart online to determine which class their vehicle is in.
- A Peak Toll Factor is applied both eastbound and westbound during peak periods, from 5:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and from 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. Toll Factors are published online.
- Customers will pay the toll amount shown at the entry point, even if the rate increases during the trip (additional charges may apply), multiplied by the Toll Factor.
- If a Customer is traveling to a destination not listed on the Toll Rate Sign, they will be charged an amount corresponding to the tolling segment traveled.
- Where no price is displayed at the Toll Rate Sign approaching the Express Lanes, customers will be charged in accordance with the price that can be obtained from the Express Lanes website at the time of travel.
- By choosing to enter the Express Lanes, customers acknowledge they have been provided sufficient notice of, and agree to, the cost to use the Express Lanes.
Paying Tolls with E-ZPass®
The Express Lanes employs a cashless electronic tolling system facilitated by E-ZPass®. The simplest and fastest way to pay tolls is with an E-ZPass®
transponder that is
- in good working order,
- securely and properly fastened to the vehicle’s windshield, and
- connected to a valid E- ZPass® account in good standing, with sufficient balance to pay for the toll.
All Express Lanes Customers are encouraged to travel with an E-ZPass®. Transponders from a system that participates in the E-ZPass® Interoperability Group are accepted. For more information on participating agencies, visit the E-ZPass® Group website.
- For more information on how to obtain an E-ZPass® and set up an E-Z Pass account, Customers should contact Virginia E-ZPass® at 1-877-762-7824, or consult their website.
- Any failure to use an E-ZPass® or E-ZPass® Flex in accordance with these Business Rules may result in additional charges, fees and/or termination of the Virginia Department of Transportation’s (“VDOT”) E-ZPass® Customer Agreement.
- E-ZPass account holders are encouraged to register their vehicle license plate number and a valid email address to their E-ZPass account.
- Failure to properly install the Transponder may result in a toll violation.
- Customers should not travel with multiple E-ZPass® transponders within their vehicles at the same time. If travel of this nature is necessary, customers are responsible to ensure that the second transponder remains shielded as instructed by the issuing EZPass® agency to avoid multiple transponder charges.
- These rules apply equally to taxis, leased and rental vehicles.
- Motorcycles traveling on the Express Lanes will be eligible for 100% toll discount.
- Mass Transit Vehicles, Commuter Buses and school buses traveling on the Express Lanes will be eligible for 100% toll discount so long as they are equipped with EZPass® transponder. Customers within these vehicle categories must contact EMP’s Customer Service to register their transponder, license plate, and provide photo of their vehicle.
For reference, see the following definitions:
Mass Transit Vehicles and Commuter Buses: defined as vehicles providing scheduled transportation services to the general public over designated routes with specified stops.
- For more information concerning the paying of tolls with E-ZPass®, Customers should refer to the Virginia E-Z Pass Customer Agreement, accessible via the VDOT’s website.
- Customers traveling with an E-ZPass® Flex will have the ability to travel in: (i) High Occupancy Vehicle (“HOV”) mode when traveling with at least 3 people in the vehicle; or (ii) Toll mode when traveling with less than 3 people in the vehicle. Note that animals do not count towards HOV occupancy requirements.
- Customers who declare that they are in HOV mode, with 3 or more people in their vehicle at the time of such declaration, shall be entitled to a 100% discount of the then posted toll rate on the Express Lanes.
- Customers traveling without any E-ZPass® transponder, or with a standard E-ZPass® will not be entitled to any HOV related discount, and will be charged a toll on the Express Lanes, regardless of occupancy.
- Customers must set their E-ZPass® Flex to either HOV mode or Toll mode prior to entering the Express Lanes.
- The incorrect use of the transponder in HOV mode is a misuse of the transponder. The Costumer’s E-ZPass® account may be charged for the undiscounted toll in effect at the time of the improper use. Improper HOV declaration (i.e. declaring HOV status with less than 3 people within the vehicle) is also subject to roadside legal enforcement which can result in administrative fees, court penalties and fines.
- Vehicles longer than 18 feet and taller than 7 feet, or with 3 or more axles are not HOVeligible on the Express Lanes, and therefore not subject to any HOV related discounts.
- Hybrid fuel vehicles (or other full electric vehicles) do not meet the HOV vehicle requirement for the Express Lanes unless traveling with 3 or more people and have validly declared their E-ZPass ® Flex in HOV mode.
Violations and Disputes
- Customers traveling the Express Lanes without an E-ZPass® transponder, with an improperly mounted E-ZPass® transponder, without a license plate registered to their EZPass account or without sufficient funds in their E-Pass® account to pay the toll, will be considered to have missed a toll and will be invoiced as such.
- Unpaid tolls may be subject to administrative fees. Failure to pay unpaid tolls may result in additional administrative fees, referral to debt collection, or court proceedings and civil penalties (set by Virginia Law, see “Fees and Penalties”).
- Customers may search and pay for their unpaid tolls on our website. Note, that any given trip on the Express Lanes may usually take up to 72 hours to be available for search and payment. If the trip isn’t available for payment on our website at the time of checking, the Customer may leave payment details and an email address. The customer will be contacted when the trip has been processed.
- An unpaid toll can be paid: online on the payment portal; by clicking the “Pay Your Way” or “Pay Your Toll” buttons on the main page of our website; by phone at 1-833-643-2867; or in person at 7450 Century Park Dr., Manassas, VA 20109 (“Our Offices”). In addition, toll violation notices can also be paid at your local Walmart store.
- In the case where a customer overpays the amount of an unpaid toll violation notice, the customer may request a refund by: contacting Customer Service at 1-833-643-2867; submitting an inquiry online; or visiting the Customer Service at Our Offices.
- Customers who wish to dispute an unpaid toll or mailed toll violation notice can submit an inquiry online.
- Please note that EMP uses an automated payment system to protect personal
information, Agents will never ask for card or bank account information while assisting Customers.
- Administrative Fees may be applied to unpaid tolls.
- Administrative fees for missed tolls may be owed in addition to unpaid tolls.
Administrative fees accrue with time:
- Zero to five days after a missed toll: $1.80 fee.
- Six to 35 days after a missed toll and first toll violation notice: $12.50 fee.
- 36 to 89 days after a missed toll and second (final) toll violation notice: $25 fee.
- 90 to 179 days after a missed toll (through debt collection): $100.
- 180 or more days after a missed toll (by way of court proceedings): $100 fee, any court fees, and any civil penalties imposed by the court. Civil penalties are set by Virginia law and will range from $50 for a first offence to $500 for a fourth, and any subsequent, offence (see Code of Virginia (“CA”) § 33.2-503). Note that additional administration fees and penalties may be applied by the Fairfax or Prince William County courts.
- Customers may also be subject to fines under Virginia law for driving an unauthorized vehicle on the Express Lanes or for crossing through any barrier, buffer or other area separating the Express Lanes from the general-purpose lanes (adjacent lanes that are not subject to tolling). However, note that one Customer cannot, under Virginia law, be subject to both missed toll fees and fines under this paragraph (as further defined in CA § 33.2-503).
Respecting Road Rules
- Customers must respect customary road rules and adhere to all applicable laws while using the Express Lanes.
- Customers must only enter and exit the Express Lanes via designated ramps and access points that are open and accessible for public entry.
- Customers are required to observe road signage.
- Any failure to comply with the foregoing and customary road rules may result in enforcement by the Virginia State Police.
- EMP values Customer privacy and complies with Virginia Laws related to confidentiality of users of the Express Lanes (CA § 33.2-503).
- Any data, whether personal vehicle owner information or information collected by our photo-enforcement system, is used exclusively for safety and toll-related purposes. All on-road video is purged as required by law.
- Should any individual driver speed data be obtained, such shall not be reported nor used in any format.