Please take time to carefully to review the terms and conditions that surround the use of the 66 Express Outside the Beltway lanes (the “Express Lanes”).
These Business Rules compliment and are in addition to the E-ZPass® Customer Service Agreement for your respective E-ZPass® agency (refer to this link for The Virginia EZPass® Customer Service Agreement; and refer to this link for the Maryland E-ZPass® Account Terms and Conditions).
Paying Tolls with E-ZPass®
The Express Lanes employs a cashless electronic tolling system facilitated by E-ZPass®. The simplest and fastest way to pay tolls is with an E-ZPass®
transponder that is
- in good working order,
- securely and properly fastened to the vehicle’s windshield, and
- connected to a valid E- ZPass® account in good standing, with sufficient balance to pay for the toll.
All Express Lanes Customers are encouraged to travel with an E-ZPass®. Transponders from a system that participates in the E-ZPass® Interoperability Group are accepted. For more information on participating agencies, visit the E-ZPass® Group website.
- For more information on how to obtain an E-ZPass® and set up an E-Z Pass account, Customers should contact Virginia E-ZPass® at 1-877-762-7824, or consult their website.
- Any failure to use an E-ZPass® or E-ZPass® Flex in accordance with these Business Rules may result in additional charges, fees and/or termination of the Virginia Department of Transportation’s (“VDOT”) E-ZPass® Customer Agreement.
- E-ZPass account holders are encouraged to register their vehicle license plate number and a valid email address to their E-ZPass account.
- Failure to properly install the Transponder may result in a toll violation.
- Customers should not travel with multiple E-ZPass® transponders within their vehicles at the same time. If travel of this nature is necessary, customers are responsible to ensure that the second transponder remains shielded as instructed by the issuing EZPass® agency to avoid multiple transponder charges.
- These rules apply equally to taxis, leased and rental vehicles.
- Motorcycles traveling on the Express Lanes will be eligible for 100% toll discount.
- Mass Transit Vehicles, Commuter Buses and school buses traveling on the Express Lanes will be eligible for 100% toll discount so long as they are equipped with EZPass® transponder. Customers within these vehicle categories must contact EMP’s Customer Service to register their transponder, license plate, and provide photo of their vehicle.
For reference, see the following definitions:
Mass Transit Vehicles and Commuter Buses: defined as vehicles providing scheduled transportation services to the general public over designated routes with specified stops.
- For more information concerning the paying of tolls with E-ZPass®, Customers should refer to the Virginia E-Z Pass Customer Agreement, accessible via the VDOT’s website.
- Administrative Fees may be applied to unpaid tolls.
- Administrative fees for missed tolls may be owed in addition to unpaid tolls.
Administrative fees accrue with time:
- Zero to five days after a missed toll: $1.80 fee.
- Six to 35 days after a missed toll and first toll violation notice: $12.50 fee.
- 36 to 89 days after a missed toll and second (final) toll violation notice: $25 fee.
- 90 to 179 days after a missed toll (through debt collection): $100.
- 180 or more days after a missed toll (by way of court proceedings): $100 fee, any court fees, and any civil penalties imposed by the court. Civil penalties are set by Virginia law and will range from $50 for a first offence to $500 for a fourth, and any subsequent, offence (see Code of Virginia (“CA”) § 33.2-503). Note that additional administration fees and penalties may be applied by the Fairfax or Prince William County courts.
- Customers may also be subject to fines under Virginia law for driving an unauthorized vehicle on the Express Lanes or for crossing through any barrier, buffer or other area separating the Express Lanes from the general-purpose lanes (adjacent lanes that are not subject to tolling). However, note that one Customer cannot, under Virginia law, be subject to both missed toll fees and fines under this paragraph (as further defined in CA § 33.2-503).